Mr. Saturn sprite ♪ ROCK CANDY ♪ EB Music Studio!

sprite aurilliux

• EarthBound Central
  • PuRennur

SonnyBone: Try using the ‘Accelerando’ track for an idea or two. I always thought it’d be fun to write for the increasing tempo, but then again, maybe you think differently.

To do something other than study for finals, I decided to put a little something together. It’s fairly short, but give it a listen if you’d like. I know there’s a little bit of a balance issue, but I intend to go back and fix that eventually, along with fixing a few other things. I’d like to hear some opinions before I go back and change it again though.

Attachments:

pr. (arr-RIHLL-ee-yuhx)

I never realized this name was a mouthful.

Master Chicken

• rcquality
  • Holiday Funfest 08 Winner

Here’s another cover I’m working on. Based on the beginning of Chapter 1, “F-F-Fire!”

Even when trapped by karma’s cycle, the dreams we left behind will open the door! Even if the universe stands in our way, our seething blood will determine what will be! We’ll break through time and space, and devour all who would stop us to grab hold of our path!
Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann!
Just who the hell do you think we are?!

Jonk

where is broom! BROOM ARE GONE MUST KILL DIRT &PUNCHES FLOOR*

• DINO RAMPAGE!

Sorry for no RC6 yet, crazy fangamer things going on. Reviews below! Keep trucking y’all!

• (Kumatora)
Paradise Line - Paradise line rock guitar sample is very harsh, it drowns out the rest of the song.
A letter for you my sweet - I like the piano but the music is all over the pace and confuses the listener.
Cinematography of the Past - I love the start! The samples that you are using especially for the harp are too strong and loud making the nature of the song more in your face than necessary. You really should keep working on this song, I think it could be really great!

• Autobzooty - Defeat - The song is true to the inspiration, but it doesn’t feel like it adding anything to the song. It is very monotone and doesn’t have too much change in mood.

Master chicken
Bound for Earth - Sounds great! I think I already expressed this to you in an email. Great work!
Fire… fire… FIRE! - Nice starting guitar, but the second sample that comes in 0:09 doesn’t mesh well with the rest of the instrumentals working in the song.

• Stevesesy - Starmen - Not EB related music.

• Aurilliux
Dry & Spicy - True to the song, original additions sounds great but feels held down with the instrumental samples.

Sonny, the tracks dont have to be exclusive entirely to Rock Candy. We try to keep it exclusive to Earthbound centric albums, but if its your own thing, then that’s great, all for it!

Master Chicken

• rcquality

^^Right, I think I’m going to have to create my own synth for that part.

Even when trapped by karma’s cycle, the dreams we left behind will open the door! Even if the universe stands in our way, our seething blood will determine what will be! We’ll break through time and space, and devour all who would stop us to grab hold of our path!
Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann!
Just who the hell do you think we are?!

sprite SonnyBone

• Fanart of the Week
  • fangamerHCP
  • rcquality
  • rc3

Thanks for the replies. That’s good to know, Jonk. I shall continue to work on my album and when the Mother tracks are complete… I’ll send them your way. The songs on my album may ‘bleed’ together or something… so I’ll be sure to make different versions for Rock Candy.

I hope I hope I hope I can get these done before RC6 is wrapped up.

Aurilliux, I enjoyed the song. It felt a little flat, though. Like it needed some DEPTH. Something THICK to carry it along. Does that make sense? My music lingo isn’t very professional, I know. But then again… maybe I’m totally wrong. I dig thick, dense music… so it could just be my personal taste affecting my judgement of your song. But like I said… I enjoyed it. Keep working on it and make is something extra special, I say.

sprite aurilliux

• EarthBound Central
  • PuRennur

I think I kind of understand what you’re meaning, SonnyBone, but I’m not totally confident. Maybe you could link me an example of what you mean? (Plus it’s by no means a finished product, it’s just the song, written out in a different style, with a couple of ideas in there. I still intend to add more to it )

And don’t worry, Jonk, I also intend to do this song with actual instruments and not just samples... once I find someone who can actually play sax.

pr. (arr-RIHLL-ee-yuhx)

I never realized this name was a mouthful.

sprite SonnyBone

• Fanart of the Week
  • fangamerHCP
  • rcquality
  • rc3

You’re probably gonna have a tough time getting that track recorded with real instruments. Unless you do that sort of thing regularly, that is. If that’s the case… feel free to beat me about the head and neck with a deflated balloon.

There are ways to get great sounds out of synths and samples. Lots of great remixes don’t use real instruments. Of course… the tracks with REAL instruments always stand out and have that special ‘something’. But like I said… you can keep working on what you have and turn it into somethign special without going through the headache of finding sax players and dealing with expensive recording equipment.

As far as what I mean by THICK AND DENSE… I guess that’s just my counter for ‘flat’. Your song isn’t finished, and if you plan to add more to it… maybe think about adding something ‘underneath’ that will help ‘thicken’ it up like a nice bowl of MAMBO GRAVY made from a KICKIN RUE.

I have no idea what I’m saying right now.

Basically… it needs more LOW END, I think.
Anyone else agree?

tumbleweeds blow by

sprite Yoshi 3000

Wouldn’t it be good with links to all songs inthe first page or something?
    Because I haven’t found one. =/
    It would really be nice to listen to this.

sprite TheJorsh

• EarthBound Central
    • AprilGroucho
    • Game Swag
    • EBFF 2011 Submitter
    • Ponsesy Participation
    • Reid is a Jinjo
    • ZAWA RRPS Winner
    • I believed in Smash

You can download each album here:
    http://starmen.net/rockcandy/

Ask Me About My Anxiety.™

sprite SonnyBone

• Fanart of the Week
    • fangamerHCP
    • rcquality
    • rc3

I submitted a song for Rock Candy and it was apparently selected.

WOOT!

That makes 2 for me, and I couldn’t be happier! Rock Candy and EB related music is seriously in my top 10 things on this planet. I’m dead serious. The music from these games makes me feel alive.

The song I submitted is a reimagined or ‘revamped’ take on the Twinkle Elementary theme from Mother (EB Zero). It’s called Recollection Elementary and isn’t just a remix or straight up remake. I visit the familiar melodies from the track, but I also add my own new melodies along the way. It was really fun to make.

OH, and it has spoken word from Itoi.

And I won’t be posting a preview. Sorry.
    :(

You’ll have to wait until it’s released. It’ll be on my solo album as well as a Rock Candy album… so whichever comes first.

:D

PS – I LOVE ROCK CANDY

• EarthBound Central
    • Monthly Writing Prompt
    • fun
    • Game Swag
    • April Fool's 2012 15-sigs
    • Fanfiction Reviewer Badge
    • FOTM (Fanfic) (June 2012)
    • PRC Above and Beyond
    • Writing Bootcamp '12
    • The Sparkles
    • The Fluke Fluke
    • Reid is a Jinjo

Man, I would love to join Rock Candy.
    But the only thing I can play is percussion.
    Bummer.

Just so you know…
    I AM A GIRL!!!

sprite SonnyBone

• Fanart of the Week
    • fangamerHCP
    • rcquality
    • rc3

You could always lay down a sweet drum track and then I could play over it.

:)

COLLAB

Daxxglax

• Obama
    • Invisiguy
    • EarthBound Central
    • hfwinner09
    • OF Prompt Writer
    • ebff-10-urf
    • AprilGroucho
    • PuRennur
    • Game Swag

MISPOST. delete please

Twitter DeviantArt Tumblr

Steam handle: The Littlest Man

sprite SonnyBone

• Fanart of the Week
    • fangamerHCP
    • rcquality
    • rc3

I’m working on a remake/remix of INTENSE GUYS from Mother 3.
    I’m doing it for my solo album, but I’ll also be submitting it to Rock Candy.

It kind of rocks so far.

Any idea how close we are to having enough tracks for a new RC album?

Daxxglax

• Obama
    • Invisiguy
    • EarthBound Central
    • hfwinner09
    • OF Prompt Writer
    • ebff-10-urf
    • AprilGroucho
    • PuRennur
    • Game Swag

Still interested in percussion collabs?

sprite SonnyBone

• Fanart of the Week
    • fangamerHCP
    • rcquality
    • rc3

Wait… me or biehlza?

I’m down for a collab. For sure.
    But I think biehlza is the one that needs the help.

But HEY, we can throw down any time, my friend.

sprite RedMagic

It’s a Mother 3 song, but I’ll give it a shot anyway. This was recorded using a 1/4’’ to 1/8’’ audio cable connected directly from my keyboard into my computer. There are a total of three separate tracks all merged together in order to allow the song to encompass the entire range of the keyboard throughout the entire thing. It would be quite a feat if I could manage to do this without layering tracks, but I suffer from the handicap of only possessing two hands.

Daxxglax

• Obama
    • Invisiguy
    • EarthBound Central
    • hfwinner09
    • OF Prompt Writer
    • ebff-10-urf
    • AprilGroucho
    • PuRennur
    • Game Swag

Wait… me or biehlza?

I’m down for a collab. For sure.
    But I think biehlza is the one that needs the help.

But HEY, we can throw down any time, my friend.

Yeah, I mean, would you like to do a collab with a percussionist? I would totally be in~

• EarthBound Central
    • Monthly Writing Prompt
    • fun
    • Game Swag
    • PRC Above and Beyond
    • Writing Bootcamp '12
    • The Sparkles
    • The Fluke Fluke
    • Reid is a Jinjo

I’m willing to do anything you got for me.

Just so you know…
    I AM A GIRL!!!

I think I’ve gotten over kissing girls.

• fun
    • dragon
    • donor2
    • pkhack
    • poe
    • fanvatar2
    • ff
    • walkthrough
    • ch1
    • starman
    • artspot
    • kcahkp
    • fangamerHCP
    • patrick
    • ghostofstarman
    • DINO RAMPAGE!
    • Invisiguy
    • hfwinner09
    • AprilGroucho
    • Undertale

sprite SonnyBone

• Fanart of the Week
    • fangamerHCP
    • rcquality
    • rc3

As for a collab, I’m down. I think it would be way fun.

So what kind of percussion are we talking about here? A full drum kit? Bongos? Synth?

Do you play with a metronome / click track?

• EarthBound Central
    • Monthly Writing Prompt
    • fun
    • Game Swag
    • PRC Above and Beyond
    • Writing Bootcamp '12
    • The Sparkles
    • The Fluke Fluke
    • Reid is a Jinjo

Of we’re talking about me, I have some bongoa and a drum set at home, as well as some bells. I play ocarina, and I can get more access to more instruments at school in 2 weeks. I’m cool with whatever.

Just so you know…
    I AM A GIRL!!!

Boooooo LitoNico

• Fanart of the Week
    • fangamerHCW
    • ghostofstarman
    • foppy
    • artspot
    • Invisiguy
    • ebff-10-awesome

hey, biehlza (or any percussionist), would you be up for a collaboration on the Mother 3 ‘Beachcombing’ theme? If you could lay down a drum track for that, that would be awesome, because sampled or synth brushes don’t sound nearly as good as the real thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA1fZXbXT38

@ttto_ok on twitter for draws

• EarthBound Central
    • Monthly Writing Prompt
    • fun
    • Game Swag
    • PRC Above and Beyond
    • Writing Bootcamp '12
    • The Sparkles
    • The Fluke Fluke
    • Reid is a Jinjo

I can do that. I’ll get it for you as soon as I can.

Just so you know…
    I AM A GIRL!!!

sprite SonnyBone

• Fanart of the Week
    • fangamerHCP
    • rcquality
    • rc3

So… anyone know how close we are to getting a new Rock Candy?

We need some new tunes, right?

I have a Mother 3 track that I could submit… but that would create TWO SonnyBone tracks on the same album.

IT MAY BE TOO AWESOME TO HANDLE

sprite Frezsparce

That’s from the perspective of Tony, ain’t it? :3
    I love it personally, even if there is a surplus of versions of that song already.

Shoe prints in face

sprite Triverske

I need some feedback, I think the tempo might be a bit stressy.

sprite SonnyBone

• Fanart of the Week
    • fangamerHCP
    • rcquality
    • rc3

I don’t get any ‘stressy’ at all.

What I do get is an EXTREME feeling that I’m playing an old school SHMUP, and I like it.

The percussion is REALLY THERE when it’s solo… and it takes a back seat when the lead comes in.
    I dig it.

I don’t think I dig the final note, though. It caught me off guard and kind of broke up the feeling of the song. Just my opinion, though.

I’m sure you could fix a few things here and there, but it would really just be nit picky stuff.

I, for one, dig the groove, the sounds, the progression, the tempo, the whole shebang. I just don’t dig the final note.

I SAY: RAWK

sprite Triverske

I’ve been trying to upload this for about a day, it makes the last part of the song more enjoyable. I really really do appreciate your opinions though, I NEED them.

Boooooo LitoNico

• Fanart of the Week
    • fangamerHCW
    • ghostofstarman
    • foppy
    • artspot
    • Invisiguy
    • ebff-10-awesome

Seaside Jazz: Beachcombing
    biehlza on drums, LitoNico on bass.

If you use up your Lumpia, you can always get another one.  That's what "unlimited" means.

It’s pronounced “LOOM-pee-ah”

• fun
    • poe
    • fanvatar3
    • ff
    • rclegend
    • ruby
    • starmansuper
    • fangamerHCW
    • Logographer
    • foppy

Triverske, I listened to your latest upload and thought it was a pretty good tune; the drums were very powerful and the synths and effects you used packed a lot of oomph that brought the mix to life.

With that said, it seems as though your remix sticks very close to the original song. That’s perfectly fine, but I think it would be tons better if you threw in a bit of your own variation into the tune to set it apart from the other mixes already out there.

There is some serious dissonance going on from about the 1:56 mark and onwards. I don’t know if just be me, but I feel the two (or three?) melodies that you overlaid on top of each other at that part don’t mesh very well together… Also, it may be intentional but the drums and melody are 2 beats off starting around 1:30. Not to worry though, I’m just being nitpicky now.

As it stands, your mix is still very solid. Just add your own flare to it and I think you should be on your way!

LitoNico, it’s really nice to hear live renditions of videogame music! Almost makes me wish I was still in band… Anyway, I think the mellow and laid-back drums fit well with the style you guys are going for. If anything, maybe you can try adding some short fills or even some cymbal at some points to break it up a bit and complement the guitar playing.

My biggest gripes would have to be the slight tuning issues and maybe some odd chord progressions on the improv toward the end. I know it is really hard to make everything perfect, especially when we’re so used to hearing MIDI instruments that play every note in perfect tune. Still, there’s something about live instruments that MIDI can’t capture. I really hope you guys make more music soon!

lum·pi·a (lūmˈpiaˌ) n. A Filipino variation of the egg roll. It consists of more meat, less vegetable and is generally better tasting. :p

sprite M2S7N

i definitely was excited to hear jazz brushes and appropriate instrumentation for such a great song, but i agree the tuning issues definitely took a lot away. i don’t know if it was the bass or guitar or both but if you fix that up it would be awesome to chill to!

Boooooo LitoNico

• Fanart of the Week
      • fangamerHCW
      • ghostofstarman
      • foppy
      • artspot
      • Invisiguy
      • ebff-10-awesome

Yeah, I still wince when I hear that A chord near the beginning. You both are quite right, I’ll give this some more attention when I have a few days and am less rushed.
      I don’t hear the strange changes at the end you’re talking about, though, Lumpia. Admittedly, I’m not a particularly good jazz guitarist, but I think I stayed well within the song’s changes…

sprite Filbert12

Is there still any interest in coming out with RC6 at all?

still beautiful

Once upon a time I was the best and that never changed.

• donor4
        • Aviczar
        • Chompy
        • Reid is a Jinjo

Yeah, I’ve been wondering if anyone is still working on stuff for RC6, too. I would love to contribute, if I wasn’t as clumsy with music as a cow eating grass while wearing roller skates with wheels made of ice.

don’t

• EarthBound Central
        • Monthly Writing Prompt
        • fun
        • Game Swag
        • PRC Above and Beyond
        • Writing Bootcamp '12
        • The Sparkles
        • The Fluke Fluke
        • Reid is a Jinjo

Well, I still have interest in it.
        If anyone wants to team up with me, just tell me.
        I do percussion and ocarina.

Just so you know…
        I AM A GIRL!!!

Yves

A fond admirer of Italian food

• Invisiguy
        • hfwinner09

Question: Are we allowed to submit pieces that we’ve submitted to Funfests in the past? I was thinking it would be fine at first, but the OP says that submitted songs must be “unique to this album” so I wanted to be sure.

Boooooo LitoNico

• Fanart of the Week
        • fangamerHCW
        • ghostofstarman
        • foppy
        • artspot
        • Invisiguy
        • ebff-10-awesome

biehlza (or any other percussionist) do you want to do re-record Beachcombing for RC6? I think last time was close, but my tuning issues and the fairly simple structure took a lot away. I’d like to try again, maybe with a few more musicians.

It would be cool if we could get a real jazz arrangement going: the head, and then solos for anyone who wants to record a part. A communal starmen.net jazz piece!
        I know it’s hard to play when you’re the first one and don’t have anything to work off of, but it’d be nice to hear a little more interesting drum stuff, if you or any other drummer is up for it. Also, I’ll write out the guitar and horn parts if there’s interest…

sprite Mise

• Video Game Music of the Month Participant

LitoNico, I’ll take you up on that offer for the guitar end. I’m decent enough to hold my own, but can’t crank out like 180bpm 32nd note nonsese. I’ll have ProTools Essentials and FLstudios to use as well. I can also rock the clarinet and do some picked violin.

If you decide you’d still like some help, drop me a PM to let me know that you would need.

• EarthBound Central
        • Monthly Writing Prompt
        • fun
        • Game Swag
        • PRC Above and Beyond
        • Writing Bootcamp '12
        • The Sparkles
        • The Fluke Fluke
        • Reid is a Jinjo

Yeah, LitoNico, I would love to do that again. Tell me what to do and I should be able to get it to you quickly now.

Just so you know…
        I AM A GIRL!!!

Boooooo LitoNico

• Fanart of the Week
        • fangamerHCW
        • ghostofstarman
        • foppy
        • artspot
        • Invisiguy
        • ebff-10-awesome

biehlza, I’ll PM you with some information. Thanks for helping out!

Here are the guitar tab and chord changes for Beachcombing. I hope some of you will do cool stuff with it! I think I’ll make a separate thread for my communal jazz project…

Kevin

• donor5
        • tofu
        • nerd
        • poe
        • fanvatar1
        • rcstaff
        • Who Arted 7 Wins
        • SMCon 2011

Although its not been mentioned, I’d still like to say that RC6 is still going to happen. However I’ve not had a chance to speak with Jonk recently. I imagine he’s been busy with Fangamer stuff. RC6 is part of the way done as far as content, so post some more of your creations!

Zero_Diamond

getoutfrog

• pkhack
        • dragon
        • artistorm
        • easy
        • fanvatar1

I never even noticed this thread. Maybe I could be persuaded to submit something from Sexy Grandpa Porky…

sprite J-MACHine

• hfdecay09

I have to admit, i’d quite like to submit something or collaborate with another for RC6, but i wasn’t acctually aware that this thread existed. Or that RC6 was still going to happen. I’d be happy to contribute, so long as there aren’t any objections…

DJ Claus is in the house, bring your friends, bring you spouse~

• SummerBound Second Place
        • SummerBound Sun Chip Participation
        • ghost frog
        • !Camp Fangamer 2016 Merchboy
        • Mafia MVP
        • 7UP

It’s been a while since I’ve recorded anything, but I’ve got a decent home setup and, listening to all these great Rock Candy albums, I’m thinking about contributing. Now to just decide on a song….

sprite Jonah

Now that this thread has been bumped, may I ask if RC6 ever going to come out? Or is the era of Rock Candy over once and for all? Maybe if Jonk is too busy, someone else can take over?

The bell has rung!
        You’re weak! You’re weak!
        LOTUS ROOOOOOT!

sprite TheMeDude

I think I’m almost ready to submit this, I’d like a little critique if you got some.
        (It’s the fridge ride theme from Mother 3)

Attachments:

I like Fisher Price music, nursery rhymes, and the alphabet song. -Tre Cool of Green Day

sprite floydhead42

• Game Swag

I dunno if I’m contributing anything myself, but I’m trying to convince a friend of mine who made a hardcore punk/heavy metal guitar cover of “Pokey Means Business” to re-record it with his band and let me upload it. I’m sure you all are gonna love it.

Honors: Major Pigmask; guitar and electric worms in Kilted Dead Youthful Morons
        I’M —IN’ GREAT AT RAPPING! | vye-nulls

sprite SonnyBone

• Fanart of the Week
        • fangamerHCP
        • rcquality
        • rc3

I’ve already submitted 2 songs to RC6, but I’d REALLY love for this thing to be completed. I could submit more, but it doesn’t need 3 SonnyBone songs. I even think 2 is one and a half too many.

Maybe once the holiday HOOPLAH is over we can pester the heads of state into giving us a number. As in: WE NEED ____ SONGS TO COMPLETE RC6

sprite Triflake

• fanvatar1
        • Game Swag

If there’s anything definitive to come of this I’d love to be a part of it and submit something. I don’t know if anyone else has brought chiptunes to the table in terms of Rock Candy in the past but that’s something I’d really like to do with some Earthbound songs.

ლ(╹◡╹ლ)
        i like majestic apes