Mr. Saturn sprite [Program] Ren'Py Visual Novel Engine: Easy way to tell an interactive story?

BOOOOOOOOOZWALLED

The Messiah of Earth

• fun
  • patrick
  • ayumi
  • dragon
  • boxes
  • artistorm
  • fortytwo
  • poe
  • Fanart of the Week
  • fanvatar2
  • ch1
  • starmansuper
  • artspot
  • fangamerHCP
  • ghostofstarman
  • foppy
  • sub
  • DINO RAMPAGE!
  • SMCon 2011
  • HockeyMonkey Appeasement Decay
  • Radio PSI - 5 years
  • sexybeam
I'd also posted about this in the Writing forum, but thought that I'd bring it up here as it's relevant.

A little while back, someone brought this program Ren'Py to my attention. It's essentially an engine to be used for creating digital books with pictures. Here's a link (browse through at your own risk and all that -- there may be some adult type content in some of the games on the page, but I'm not sure): http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/Home_Page

What has me posting about it in the Fan Games and Programs forum, however, is that you're able to make games of sort with it, in that you're able to make your novels interactive, with a little bit of scripting/programming. In other words, you can make stories with graphics (backgrounds, more or less), and have parts of the story that branch according to some decision made by the player.

There's a short demonstration video on the site showing how making a VERY basic "visual novel" with it would be pretty straightforward and easy, so long as you have the graphics made already. They seem to have instructions on the site as well for the thing's functionality, as well as tutorials and mini-tutorials (what they call "cookbooks"), which I'm imagining probably go a long way to help you figure out how to make your "visual novel" into more of a game by making it more interactive.

Just as important as any of that, they seem to have at least some dedication to the program at the site, given that there's multi-platform versions, including one that'll work for Vista. That kind of effort can't be a terrible sign, right? Moreover (not to sound like I'm blatantly advertising for them), they have forums which seem to be at least SOMEwhat active, which means that if you're having trouble figuring things out with it, that it may be a place to find some answers.

Do note that at a very quick glance, the site's creative content (games) seems to contain a lot of "dating sim" type games, and an awful lot of Anime style influences. That's great and all, and if people are looking to make those kinds of games, then this may be perfect for you. But I really don't think that anyone who uses the program need be constrained by the limitations of making a "dating sim" or using an Anime type style. I really do think that such a program poses some interesting possibilities for any game-maker who would be interested moreso in the storytelling side of game-making, with some graphics and decisions thrown in.

Though I generally wouldn't encourage this sort of thing, it also seems like it could be used as a quick and (relatively) easy way to put a game together if you're not terribly graphically inclined and want to make something without having much more than a story. In other words, for budding game-makers who have an idea, but aren't willing to in put all the time required to make things like animating sprites, tilesets, maps, music, etc, etc, this may be a good way to go.

I do hope to put something together with this program myself eventually, if nothing else as a small demonstration of what one can do with basically nothing.

SO, to open discussion, what do people think of this program? Has anyone here used it before? Is there anything similar but better and/or even EASIER to use out there? And besides interactive stories, any idea how it might be used a bit more creatively?

sprite josh

• eb0hack
  • starman
Neato

sprite rudhira

I haven't really touched it at all since school started, but I'm actually working on a project right now. It's mostly a linear story with a few big choices and will probably have some subtle menu choices here and there.

Story-wise, it's probably only about 5% done(and only maybe 2% of it's actually been put in the game) and art-wise it's 0% done since I have no background artist and my character artist is busy right now. So I don't have much to show other than how I've made the game windows and stuff Earthboundy.

In-game windows

When I find time I'll make a topic with my game at a good stopping point for demonstration and critiquing purposes.

sprite josh

• eb0hack
    • starman
    Great Work!
    Now that i think of it, you should make an earthbound dating sim Laughing

sprite p-hop

I've been meddling with Ren'Py for quite a while now. I want to produce something in the footsteps of OMGWTFOTL. Perhaps someday I'll finish it, or get people to work with me on it at least Razz

sprite josh

• eb0hack
      • starman
      I just relized... Ren'Py Works on LINUX!
      Woohoo! now i can make a visual earthbound novel!

sprite rudhira

josh wrote on Mon, 24 September 2007 20:52
        Great Work!
        Now that i think of it, you should make an earthbound dating sim Laughing

Uh, don't really want to. Romance? Yes. But no creepy dating sims from me. But thanks for the compliment.

And as for p-hop and his OMGWTFOTL project. That scares me. I've never played it, but I know what it is, and it scares me.

sprite josh

• eb0hack
        • starman
        Sorry, if i creeped you out... Sad

sprite rudhira

You didn't creep me out, per say. I Just really don't want to do a dating sim. There's too few main female characters and it just seems, to me anyway, that it would sully the earthbound name, you know?

I see visual novels as a really neat and interesting way to present an in-depth story. And dating sims, to me, are just the tip of the iceberg. Some of them are really good and all, but they're definitely limited to a specific audience. Even if it's a really good story, if it's a dating sim, it's immediately given a bad reputation and less people will look into it. I don't really want that.

sprite josh

• eb0hack
          • starman
          Yeah, i know what you mean. so what is the basic plot of your game?

sprite rudhira

Well, it's mostly about Ness finding his "voice." There's very few instances where Ness actually says anything in Earthbound. My story, however, actually takes place from Ness's point-of-view. So you see much more of his personality. Or really my interpretation of his personality. Most of the story is light-hearted and full of side-plots that deal with a few minor characters. Which you have to complete to unlock and see the final ending. It has sort of an everyday/slice-of-life feel through most of it and a few big events along the way sort of force Ness and the other characters to resolve each other's problems.

Sorry if I'm being kind of cryptic and vague. I'll write an actual synopsis and make my own topic later once it's bit more complete

sprite josh

• eb0hack
            • starman
            Great!
            I just got Renpy to boot up. it makes me feel proud to actually have cool stuff that other people can use that don't use you linux on linux (Other Examples PK Hack, and Falcons Eye)

Edit:
            I'm having a problem, look.
            Code

It is doing this:
            ?t=getfile&id=33964&private=0

Also, the background isn't working.

I'm sorry, but errors were detected in your script. Please correct the
            errors listed below, and try again.

On line 17 of /home/joshua/Ren'py-1/game/script.rpy: scene statement does not expect a block. Please check the indentation of the line after this one.
            scene bg house
            ^

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.3.2b

Edit: Also, Look at the Title Screen! Smile
            ?t=getfile&id=33965&private=0

sprite Stonecycle

Noticed that that yellow thing was holding a SNES or Super Famicom controller in it's mouth?
              THIS USER WAS SAND FOR THIS COAST.

BOOOOOOOOOZWALLED

The Messiah of Earth

• fun
              • patrick
              • ayumi
              • dragon
              • boxes
              • artistorm
              • fortytwo
              • poe
              • Fanart of the Week
              • fanvatar2
              • ch1
              • starmansuper
              • artspot
              • fangamerHCP
              • ghostofstarman
              • foppy
              • sub
              • DINO RAMPAGE!
              • SMCon 2011
              • Radio PSI - 5 years
              • sexybeam
              Josh, if you have any plans on actually USING those graphics (as in, if they're not just placeholders), then PLEASE remember to get permission from the artists that made them before you use them (if you haven't already).

sprite josh

• eb0hack
              • starman
              Ness, is a placeholder.
              However, Giygas in most likely not.

Anyway, i found giygas on the 2001 Starmen.net Site. So...

TO WHOEVER MADE THE GIYGAS ART! CAN I USE IT?

BOOOOOOOOOZWALLED

The Messiah of Earth

• fun
              • patrick
              • ayumi
              • dragon
              • boxes
              • artistorm
              • fortytwo
              • poe
              • Fanart of the Week
              • fanvatar2
              • ch1
              • starmansuper
              • artspot
              • fangamerHCP
              • ghostofstarman
              • foppy
              • sub
              • DINO RAMPAGE!
              • SMCon 2011
              • Radio PSI - 5 years
              • sexybeam
              No. If you're to use it, go figure out whose it is, and not by just asking in this topic.

sprite josh

• eb0hack
              • starman
              oh. it was Whilly-D.
              I sent a pm, but it said he hasn't visted since 2005.

Edit: I've asked and i've got some EB fanart to use in the game.

But i'm having a problem. This text cause the game to crash.
              menu:

"Turn the Radio Dial to the Right.":
              "Its just Ads"
              play music "ads-1.mp3" fadeout 1.0
              "Click to turn off."
              pass
              "Turn Radio Dial to the Left.":
              "Its just Ads"
              play music "ads-1.mp3" fadeout 1.0
              "Click to turn off."
              pass

Heres the Error:
              I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
              script.

ParseError: On line 211 of /home/joshua/Ren'py-1/game/script.rpy: indentation mismatch.

While parsing /home/joshua/Ren'py-1/game/script.rpy.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "/home/joshua/renpy-6.3.2/renpy/bootstrap.py", line 209, in bootstrap
              renpy.main.main()
              File "/home/joshua/renpy-6.3.2/renpy/main.py", line 186, in main
              game.script = renpy.script.load_script()
              File "/home/joshua/renpy-6.3.2/renpy/script.py", line 444, in load_script
              rv = Script()
              File "/home/joshua/renpy-6.3.2/renpy/script.py", line 167, in __init__
              if not self.load_file(dir, fn + ".rpy", node_callback):
              File "/home/joshua/renpy-6.3.2/renpy/script.py", line 292, in load_file
              data, stmts = self.load_file_core(dir, fn)
              File "/home/joshua/renpy-6.3.2/renpy/script.py", line 231, in load_file_core
              stmts = renpy.parser.parse(fullfn)
              File "/home/joshua/renpy-6.3.2/renpy/parser.py", line 1611, in parse
              nested = group_logical_lines(lines)
              File "/home/joshua/renpy-6.3.2/renpy/parser.py", line 275, in group_logical_lines
              return gll_core(0, 0)[0]
              File "/home/joshua/renpy-6.3.2/renpy/parser.py", line 269, in gll_core
              block, i = gll_core(i, depth + 1)
              File "/home/joshua/renpy-6.3.2/renpy/parser.py", line 263, in gll_core
              raise ParseError(filename, number, "indentation mismatch.")
              ParseError: On line 211 of /home/joshua/Ren'py-1/game/script.rpy: indentation mismatch.

While parsing /home/joshua/Ren'py-1/game/script.rpy.

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.3.2b

How do I fix this?

sprite josh

• eb0hack
              • starman
              Okay, I've fixed most of the bugs and work is fairly far in the game. but i need an opinion. on Text.

What do you like better?

?t=getfile&id=34088&private=0

or

?t=getfile&id=34089&private=0

sprite rudhira

hmm, I don't know which one you should use, but if you pick the second one you might want to increase the size a little

Denn!

L+R+Start+Select

• dragon
                • poe
                • fanvatar3
                I'm not sure if I like the the font itself in the first one, but the mixed resolution of the second version is not something I would recommend. I guess I'd go with option one.

sprite josh

• eb0hack
                • starman
                Okay.

I've gotten premission from kaigesudo to use some of his art so thats good.