Mr. Saturn sprite RPG Maker: text dumps?

BOOOOOOOOOZWALLED

The Messiah of Earth

• fun
  • patrick
  • ayumi
  • dragon
  • boxes
  • artistorm
  • fortytwo
  • poe
  • Fanart of the Week
  • fanvatar2
  • ch1
  • starmansuper
  • artspot
  • fangamerHCP
  • ghostofstarman
  • foppy
  • sub
  • DINO RAMPAGE!
  • SMCon 2011
  • HockeyMonkey Appeasement Decay
  • Radio PSI - 5 years
  • sexybeam
Can any of the RPG makers do a full (or even partial) text dump of text from your game?

Basically, I'm wondering if a person was to make a game, would it be possible for them to just dump/copy the game's text somehow to a text file, so that they or another person could, say, proofread it.

Does anyone know if this is a possibility with any of the versions of RPG Maker?

Capn Muffin

Bad Enough Dude

• fun
  • dragon
  • donor5
  • artistorm
  • poe
  • fanvatar3
  • bannercontest
  • DINO RAMPAGE!
  • dillo
From what I know the answer would be "no".

You'd need a program specifically created that reads the map files and pulls out the encoded text I would suppose. Plus, how would you get the text back in once proofread? It never hurts to type up text in a word processor with spell check first before creating a message event.

HOWEVER a good method to help you with this (and a lot of things) is to have a naming convention for your events. Let's say NPC characters. For every event that's an NPC title them "NPC_(name)" so that way you can use the handy search feature (click the binoculars in the tool-bar) and simply type "NPC" into the dialog box next to [Event Name]. This will show every event with the string "NPC" in the title. Now it's just a matter of going through the list and proofreading all their chit-chat.

The search function is EXTREMELY useful, so I suggest you become acquainted with it. Not only can you search for events, but where every switch and variable you have and where they are located. Of course this only works if you have an organized naming convention!